Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween treats

This past weekend was a fun one,  I spent most of my time constructing Halloween costumes.  J's star wars costume was store bought (thank goodness).  I made a long Rapunzel wig for K the idea was from Family fun it ended up being so cute.  L's giraffe costume was my favorite I use brown clothing and made giraffe print on it with masking tape, that was a task but worth it.  She was so cute, I think her personality really added to her adorable costume.  S's pea pod costume was used by all four of my kids, can you believe I don't think I have a picture of all of them in it I will look though.  Grandma and grandpa D came over all weekend and helped with the basement and the kids, it's so nice to have the help!  Saturday night Joy got to spend the night, my kids love Joy what a special relationship.  Both sets of grandparents were here for trick or treating and to help with all we had going on.




                                                           Our neighborhood bunch!

For the last two years Ben and I have created a trick or treat pit stop at our house for our neighborhood.  It's been an amazing way to meet and talk with people we would otherwise never have contact with.  We passed out 163 hot dogs, 178 juice boxes, 84 hot ciders and 40 waters to hungry and thirsty parents and children.  We set up a movie screen and played a kiddie Halloween movie.  By having a place for the kids to stop and sit for a minute parents are more than willing to engage about their lives.  It was fun to let people know that it is out of love that we do this we want nothing in return.  We were able to meet several people that we have never met and some that came last year and made a point to come back.  I am so thankful for a husband that is so good at loving others I feel like he really makes people feel very welcome.  Ben and I make a great team and we are definitely in our element when it comes to this kind of thing.  It is only God's amazing love that motivates us, it's powerful to remember where I have been the dark places Christ saved me from.  I want nothing more than the people around me to experience that.  So to wrap it up there is nothing great about us or our family we are inspired by a God who is more than great and who has impacted our life! 

  

1 comment:

because HE first loved us said...

The kids/costumes look great! I think we'll have to try to hotdog idea next year... such a great way to love neighbors in a simple way! I met some of my neighbors for the first time last night taking Lyla trick or treating...kinda embarassing since we've been here almost 2 yrs!
Your blog looks great! Next time I'm over I'll show you how to add other stuff if you like :)