Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 2

Grocery day!  Well I went to Kroger and had $30.00 wow that can go fast.  I knew if I shopped ads and went to several stores I could've maybe made the money go further but I really wanted to shop where I normally shop and truly feel how little money this is.  I made a very specific list including ingredients and a few basics. After 20 minutes I had completed my shopping ,spending $23.00 and the extra $7.00 left I will act as if we already spent that since we have resources at home we are using.  I walked out with 4 bags it was a little sobering to know that we could choose to eat like this more often and give more, something for our family to reflect on. 

I picked up the kids from school and the first thing out of their mouths is can we get doughnuts?  I wanted to say yes so bad it was actually a great day to do it.  I reminded them that we are saving money to fill our boxes; Jack let me know he wished we weren't doing this.  I know that this can be hard but it's for a greater cause, in the end I think we'll grow as a family and choose to be more purposeful with money.

The biggest challenge for me is to plan meals that don't consist of lots of ingredients and are simple and cheap.  We just did a pasta bake and some bread.  Kate, poor thing lately can't seem to be satisfied with much of anything, was the first to complain.  But after a quick reminder of no complaints and to fill your bellies because we will not be having a snack later they actually ate their dinners.  I think normally I probably waiver when it comes to dinner and let them make excuses for the things they don't like.  It seems so much easier with this challenge in front of us to require them to eat all on their plate.

Overall I am encouraged and pray that God will show us what we can learn from this week.


Side note:  Sam is 18 months and seems to always be conquering the world through climbing and speech but he can't seem to hold his own cup (I think it's laziness, he wants mommy to tip it back for him).  I have decided to today will be the day to learn to do it himself.  It's such a crack up every time he brings me his cup I just help his little hands do it himself and then praise him like crazy.  One of the times I said good job he replied with thank you, it just made me smile.

No comments: