Friday, August 12, 2011

My morning with Sam

Sam is the subject today...all morning he has made me smile.

Sam starts his day with a warm bottle of milk that either Ben, Jack or I usually feed him.  Today was no different I warmed a bottle and gave it to Jack to feed Sam it, well Sam was not having it.  He then decided to walk around and cry to protest his bottle.  I was wrapped up in my morning reading routine, I've gotten pretty good at ignoring silly requests during that time.  This morning that included Sam.  Everything seemed to be upsetting Sam he walked around the house just ticked off about everything.  Sometimes when you know your kids are being ridiculous it all becomes laughable.  Several times while I was reading he brought me a bag of candy and when I told him "no" he went and put his hands against the wall, leaned his head on them and cried it was one of the cutest and funniest things I've seen in awhile.  When I would look at him he would just laugh, I think he knew he was being dramatic.  He non-stop kept coming over to me and want on my lap and then back off, I finally got the clue when I stopped and really watched his cues.  He wanted me to feed him the bottle.  I found his blanket which he calls "baby" we sat on the couch and he very contently drank his bottle.  I spent the next 10 minutes looking into his eyes sweetly  as he touched my face and sometimes hit my face but I'm pretty sure that was just the boy coming out in him.  It struck me that he misses the time we use to spend together breast feeding, it was one on one and it made him feel loved.  I often think I probably try encourage my kids to just grow up.  I wonder how many sweet moments like this morning I have missed out on because I felt they were maybe too old for a bottle or whatever it was I was trying to move them pass.  It's funny that it's taken four kids to finally see some things in my parenting that I would've done different to do over again. 

On another note we have bought a new trash can with a lock because Sam threw everything away.  I have found my cell phone, remote controls, lots of toys and I think Kate's new croc is gone forever.



He has become very frustrated with the lock system so he has decided today that he going to start just tipping the can over and look at me like victory is his.



This is Sam eating breakfast, each morning something always ends up in his food.  Today it was his toy car.  One more thing to make me laugh.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Oh you're going to love that you are writing all this down! You're time in NC sounds like when my family gets together...I'm surprised you guys only have 21 people cuz we have about 20 when we get together with my family. Can't wait to see you guys!
My word verification is crisit: translation Christ is IT!!

krissy said...

i love him! thanks for the encouragment (again) to take some time with my kids too. :-) looking forward to the next school year and enjoying our friendship again. :-)

domecfam said...

Sam is so funny. I can totally picture him getting so frustrated at the garbage can. So much personality! Love the Davis family!